Formatting dictionaries with CSS

Author cambell | 26.02.2008 | Category Typesetting

In evaluating CSS as a stylesheet language for formatting dictionaries, I started putting PrinceXML through its paces. I tried what I considered to be Cobuild dictionarythe hardest dictionary layout and while I think I have matched many of the features. The sidenotes are just not going to happen without specialized support for them in CSS. (The closest I could get was a float but of course if you have more than one within a line, they just write on top of each other). That result is here. I then switched to a more typical layout which had no problems at all. That result is here. You can get all the files to reproduce this exercise here.

Types of style

There are really a number items which contribute to the style of a dictionary:

  1. Selection of fields
  2. Order of fields
  3. Textual markup – characters or text that is added before, after, or around items to distinguish a field from surrounding text
  4. Character styles – font changes
  5. Paragraph styles
  6. Page layout – columns

CSS actually allows us to handle items 1, 3-5. (Selection of fields can be handled by setting the display property to none.) All the textual markup in the examples was done using the CSS content property.

CSS3 Selectors

Another interesting behavior of CSS 3 is that you cannot select the first element having a class containing the word ‘pronunciation’:

.pronunciation:first-of-type

You can only use the :first-of-type selector to select the first element with a particular name so a general div and span with class attributes would have to be converted to xml named elements instead. There is a way around this, given that our document will be generated from another format and that is to actually add classes first-of-type and last-of-type. Then the data becomes:

... class="pronunciation">......

and

...

Playing with both the xml and xhtml varieties in IE7 and Firefox 2 shows that both do a much better job with the xhtml over xml.

Column-span

The only other problem I ran into was that Prince does not yet support the column-span property. This ended up not being a big problem since I just wanted the heading to span both columns and was able to work around this by making the first page of the section have a 12cm top margin and to float the heading into this space.

HTTP://MORTGAGEREFINANCEE.COM

zp8497586rq